Sunday, December 6, 2009

Scardy Cats Unite: Why We Should Never be Left Home Alone

About two weeks ago, the baby and I were at the house alone. Ryan just left for football practice and would not be home for a few hours. I started feeding The Queen (the baby) when I heard what sounded like a a duffel bag unzipping quickly. Noodle immediately confirmed that I was not hearing things when she bolted from her spot on the couch to the origin of the sound. She ran in the bedroom and began barking and running in circles. About the fourth circle she almost crashed into the wall. If she can't scare off an intruder... I don't know what would.

In all seriousness, at this point I was fairly freaked out. I calmly placed the baby in a safe place by the front door and tiptoed into the bedroom. I looked around and saw nothing. Noodle looked at me with a look resignation and returned to the couch. At this point I thought "Must have been some moron neighbor doing something loud and stupid." (Not unusual for my neighborhood.)

I continued feeding the baby when I heard scratching. I looked at Noodle who was sound asleep and oblivious to the noise this time. From her snoring I translated "Hey, I barked. I don't know what else you want from me. It's not like anyone would try to kill me anyway".

Once again I got up and looked around. This noise sounded like it was coming from the back door or somewhere in the kitchen. I looked out the back window, nothing. Looked throughout the kitchen, nothing. Peaked in the bedroom again, still nothing. I sighed and gave up.

Upon returning to the rocking chair with the baby, I heard the scratching intensify. At this point, I was pretty convinced something was trying to kill me. I was pretty freaked out. I threw a blanket over the baby's head and we walked outside. I walked to my neighbors' houses on both sides hoping to see one of them doing something ridiculous that I could yell at them for. Someone needed to pay for me getting scared. I HATE feeling scared and it immediately turns to anger once I find the source of the fear. To my surprise there was no one outside. Not a single kid, animal, adult, no one! Holy crap!!!!!

I took a deep breath and walked back in the house. There had to be an explanation for the noises. HAD TO BE! Now, let me state this: I do not believe in ghosts, but I have a very vivid imagination and I had just watched Paranormal Activity. So you can imagine I was ready to pee in my pants when I heard another round of scratching start!

"That is it! We are out of here," I announced to the baby and Noodle. They both stared at me blankly. "Good! You both remain calm. Freaking out will only worsen the situation," I said in response.

At this point I am shaking. Something wants to eat me and I have to protect my baby! I just knew the creature was salivating somewhere in the walls and waiting for me to turn my back so it could attack me!

I grabbed the car seat, my keys and phone. I did everything I could to stay calm and think of a plan. I had just placed the baby in the car seat when I heard something directly to my right. I looked over and to my horror, the garage door is now shaking. SHAKING!!!!!!

Ok... deep breath.... I slowly walked to the door (only about three steps) to lock it. I quietly turned the lock and half expected the door to blow open in some mass explosion where I am blown 10 feet in the air and knocked through the opposite wall. (Seriously, I have to stop with the scary movies.)

Immediately upon the lock clicking into place, I hear THE SOUND. The sound that made everything become clear. The sound that justified all my fears. I was not crazy. There was something in my house. The villain that had been terrorizing me for the last hour was the neighbor's cat. It was trapped in my garage.

I am so glad I decided to wait to call the police until after I "escaped".

1 comment:

  1. I am laughing so hard I have tears... favorite line That is it! We are out of here," I announced to the baby and Noodle. They both stared at me blankly. "Good! You both remain calm. Freaking out will only worsen the situation," I said in response

    ReplyDelete